Wondering what to bring with you this summer? If you are living on campus, the first rule of packing is to set out everything you want to bring, and then cut it in half. You don’t want to worry about carrying too much stuff up to your dorm room when you move in! And, of course, you will want to leave room in your luggage for any gifts or souvenirs you will bring home. If you forget something when packing, don’t worry. Chances are you will be able to get it in New York City, too.
Below is a suggested list of items to bring for the program:
- Light and cool clothes: It’s hot during the summer! Be sure to bring cool clothes. Lighter colors are better for sunny days.
- Light jacket or sweater: The odd evening can get cool and air conditioning indoors can be strong, so bringing something to layer is a good idea.
- Walking shoes: You will be walking everywhere. And we mean EVERYWHERE! A pair of comfortable, supportive shoes will see you through the day. If you would rather wear flat sandals or heels, be sure to bring plenty of band-aids for your blisters.
- A set of nicer clothes: A good idea for the times you decide to attend a more formal event like a Broadway show.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Backpack or similar bag for books and personal items
- Notebooks, pens, and other items you would like to use for class: Know your study habits and bring what you need–there is no set “school supplies list” in college.
- Laptops are not required but may be useful for students taking writing or business classes.
- Equipment for film and photography courses will be provided, but students are welcome to bring their own cameras if they wish.
- Extra spending money
- Valid photo ID or passport
- Health insurance card
For the residence hall:
- Cleaning supplies for your room and bathroom, if needed
- Alarm clock
- Headphones: So you don’t disturb your roommate or neighbors
- Linens: Students living on campus will need to bring sheets, blankets, and pillows for their extra-long twin beds and a set of towels. If you would like, you can order linens online from College Ave.
- Personal items from home to make your room cozy and comfortable: Anything you know you can’t live without, whether it is your favorite movie poster, a picture of your family pet, or your childhood blanket or stuffed animal (we won’t judge–everybody has one).